Archive for the ‘ZeeForge Changes’ Category

Mothballing ZeeForge Blog

January 25, 2013

I’ve consolidated the material that was in ZeeForge back into the Zeetix sites and blog. I may relaunch ZeeForge someday (I still love the concept), but as of January 2013, it is inactive.

I’ve imported the everything, so the dates and headers have remained unchanged.

Advertisements

Relaunch of zeeforge.com

October 19, 2009

I’ve refactored and rewritten most of the zeeforge.com site to reflect my focus on building a consulting/contracting revenue stream to sustain ZeeForge in this abysmal investment climate.

The entire site is built using Glooper, the website generator used for the Zeetix family of sites. As part of the relaunch, I added enhanced sidebar capability to Glooper. In addition, I’ve found a set of patterns for css that finally seem to work reliably and well for the sorts of multi-pane compositions that dominate the new ZeeForge look.

The new site also makes widespread use of a new (for me) approach to presenting, structuring, and handling browser forms to make it easier for users and visitors to request additional information. The new form handling capability is built around “Clacks”, a non-intrusive and relatively lightweight ZeeForge project that provides a convenient and object-oriented abstraction for browser/server exchanges. Clacks wraps XmlHttpRequest machinery in code that avoids several usability and reliability problems associated with more naive implementations.

For our new visitors, welcome to the ZeeForge blog. We encourage you to ask questions, leave comments and feedback, and visit often.

Ramping up on MoveableType

June 23, 2009

I’m in the process of refactoring ZeeForge as my portfolio, so that prospective clients can see how I work.

I’m using http://www.zeeforge.org as a site from which I will host popular open-source services for users and visitors, including prospective clients.

The first service I’m adding is MoveableType, the famous Perl/PHP blog. I’ve been exercising it locally on my WinXP system, and over the next day or so I’ll deploy it onto the zeeforge.org site. I’m using this entry to journal that process.

I found the initial installation on WinXP (using an apache webserver) to be relatively straightforward. I’ve had the usual collection of configuration and pre-requisite snafus, nothing too serious.

I note that the directory structure assumed by MT is a little different from my usual practice. In particular, it expects its resources to be unpacked into my standard “site_root” directory, peered with cgi-bin and public_html. Each new blog, when published, creates a directory in this site_root.

I’ve also had trouble locating a WinXP-compatible form of Image-Magick. I remember this problem from earlier perl thrashing, and I’ll get to it later.

My goal is to create a demo site (and url) where prospective clients who are interested in my ability to support blog services like moveabletype can see my work in-situ.